Monday, May 6, 2013

Rustic Barstool Makeover



I just finished a kitchen remodel. It took weeks but mainly because we did all the work ourselves. It was more of a extreme facelift then a renovation. Painted cabinets, new sink and faucet, added recess lightening, a bit of wood work, some new cabinetry hardware, paint and new window treatments. Now that I see my list, maybe it was a little more than just a few coats of paint and some new accessories. But, it's was a labor of love, and yes, with 4 kids, 2 of them with 99% natural labor, I can say with a fact I know what's that's like! Now, thanks to me, so can my husband, and he's welcome! More on the kitchen to follow later.

I noticed when everything was said and done, I had 4 eyesores left in my sparkling-new dream kitchen. These were cheap barstools that I bought on sale 5 years ago for $40 a piece. They were functional and while a eyesore, there was NO extra money left in the budget to replace them so I had to make do.

I wanted to update them with a rustic finish so they would blend in with the rest of my kitchen. I knew it wouldn't be a hard project, I just wasn't sure how I wanted to go about it. What I was sure about, this was going to be a makeover with things that I already had around the house.

I started with just stripping the tops with a few coats of stripper. This isn't my first rodeo in this process. I've used it all and it all works the same. Elbow grease works the best when it comes to stripping a piece of furniture. Sad, I know, I have found no quick fix. After I got enough stain off, I broke out my palm sander and sanded the dickens out of the tops. I had left over paint, glaze and protective sealer from the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation kit that I used on my kitchen cabinets. After I washed the stools with hot soapy water and dried them, I applied the deglosser that came with the kit. Scrubbing this stuff on takes years of funk off that 3 busy boys have put on my stools over time. Wash and dry them again and your ready to paint. I used around 4 coats of Federal Gray on the legs and cross pieces letting it dry about a hour between coats. I knew I wanted to leave tops natural so that part was easy. I really, really like old time period pieces. I remembered a old 40's typewriter font that I used on one of the kids birthday invitations. I had my technical wiz, husband J, whip me up a large blown up copy of the font in the first initial of each of the kids names in lower case lettering. Never wanting to left out of a project (yeah...who am I kidding) J, expertly cut the initials out of the paper with an exacto-knife. I centered and taped the stencils to the tops of the stools. For the initials, I sponged on the paint from the other Rustoluem kit (leftover from the cabinets) in Pure White. After drying overnight, I took the paper off and started to apply the decorative glaze. I'm not sure what color they call it, it mostly looks like a vintage brown. I applied a few coats of the glaze with a paint brush and then rubbed it off with the cheesecloth provided by the kit in various spots. If you want it darker, leave it on for longer and don't rub so much off. Its not a perfect science,  just use how much you like. I went for a aged distressed look. The distress look works in my decor. My kids are usually hard on my furniture, so that finish meshes with the rest of the stuff they've broken! When the glaze was throughly dried, I applied the clear protective sealant (kit leftovers again) in 2 coats with a hour to dry in between.

Here is the end result! I love it, and couldn't picture it any better-simply. What a easy makeover that adds tons of character!

Before



After













TDC Before and After

2 comments: