Thursday, June 6, 2013

Duncan Phyfe Revamped: Makeover Part 3

The last part of my 1920's dinning furniture makeover was to tackle the table. I decided with all the paint happening on the hutch and chairs that keeping it in its natural color was best. I loved the deep rich color of the Mahogany mixed together with the new crisp colors of the chalk paint. It was still formal but fun. 

The table itself was in the best condition of all the pieces in the set. There were a few deep scratches and the legs were banged up but nothing major. One of the pedestals had been repaired adequately enough from the previous owners so it was still really solid. I needed to glue two of of the metal claw feet back on as one fell off completely and the another foot was really loose. Other than that, all I had to do was to buff out a few scratches and give it a good overall polish.

You can kind of see the scratches on the top of the table and the finish was starting to fade all around the side apron.
 
A little wear and tear on the legs, but not too bad.


As I mentioned earlier, the pervious owners had cats who liked to slide across the top of the table like a runway. I knew from previous experiences that I really didn't want to refinish the whole table. I thought if anything, I would just paint the legs to cover the dents and maybe stencil the top with more chalk paint if I couldn't find a easy solution. With all the projects that have been happening around here lately, I wasn't up to the chore of stripping, sanding, staining and polyurethaning another thing for days...just not appealing right now. I wanted a quick fix this go around. When I was at my local hardware store I came across this product. Howard -"Restore it, Don't Strip it!"- Restore-A-Finish. Sounded perfect. I choose the Mahogany color to match the table. The directions were pretty straight forward. 

I would recommend this stuff to anyone who has anything that needs to have a quick facelift. If you inherited any old pieces or bought anything that you were looking to repurpose. It. Is. Wonderful!
 

Direction on the back.
***Choose the color that matches your finish (check)***Apply with a small cloth or for severe scratches or white rings (check also) apply with a super fine (0000) steel wool. DO NOT POUR DIRECTLY ON FINISH. ALWAYS WIPE DRY. (OK, I hear ya!) When using wool, always rub with the wood grain. DO NOT APPLY POLYURETHANE ON TOP OF RESTORE-A-FINISH. (Excellent, even better!) For best results, wait at least 30 mins and apply a coat of wax to protect and maintain the newly restored finish. (Hello Briwax in light brown, we meet again!)****That's it? Sounded easy enough. 
  
I got to work with these 3 products. I swear it took in all, maybe 45 minutes to bring this table back to its former beauty.

I started with a good washing of the table and throughly drying it. I wore latex gloves for this next process since the liquid finish would most likely stain your hands. Take the steel wool and apply a good amount of the liquid finish to the wool pad. I didn't make it soaking wet but it was pretty well saturated. I started with the legs since they were the most beat up part of the table. If it didn't work, then I would save my time and break out the chalk paint to finish it. I rubbed the wool with the grain of the wood with applied medium pressure. I let the Restor-A-Finish sit while I made my way around the rest of the legs and second pedestal before I came back to wipe it off. On deep scratches, I applied a heavy amount of pressure with the steel wool to work it deep into the cracks. This stuff really did the job! I was so happy with what I was seeing that I decided to do the top. I worked from one end of the table, concentrating on the deep scratches with heavy pressure with the wool, working my way to the opposite end. I finished with the sides of the apron. This stuff was really awesome, almost like a magic eraser for wood. IT DOES NOT take the scratches off, but more or less covers them and and makes them less noticeable. If you want zero scratches, then you'll need to do a bit more work. Either refinishing the whole table or filling in the cracks with wood putty and then refinishing that. This was fine enough for me! I let the Restore-A-Finish sit on the top and sides for 20 minutes (give or take) and then wiped it all off with a clean cloth. After 30 minutes, I broke out the Briwax furniture wax since that's what I had on hand, and started in small sections with waxing on and off. I swear when I was done, this table looked like it came off the show room floor. IT WAS THAT GOOD! I was amazed with the end result! I'm so glad that I decided to leave the table in the dark Mahogany. I think It oozes classic style but plays up to the new colors of the rest of the set. A happy medium.

All new again.

 
Look at those gams now! Don't be jealous.

Now to get on to the really fun part, reworking the room! There are a few things coming up, like new paint, repurpose Ikea hutch, new curtain panels, updated chandelier, accent wall, bright rug, and accessories pulled from various spots through out the rest of the house, all done on a budget. I am excited to reveal my-work-in -progress, new dinning room. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment