Monday, June 24, 2013

Kitchen part 3: Finished Windows, Lighting and Countertops, Oh my!

The rest of the kitchen fell into place after the cabinets were painted and out of the way. J, being the pretty handy guy he is, wired the new can lighting with his dad when his parents were visiting.  His dad had recently put the same lights in his own kitchen so his experience with this project was welcomed! We rehung a new glass pendant fixture over the kitchen sink that I found at Lowes. I love this new pendant, it had the timely look that I was going for.

New recessed lights.

New glass pendant and framed window.


J framed out the windows and I made simple cafe curtains out of shower curtains that were marked down at Target. These were super simple to make as I am a very novice sewer. I trimmed the length down to fit the windows and cut the material right in half down the middle and hemmed about half a inch all the way around. I bought inexpensive tension rods for $3 a piece. To make this project even easier, I bought the curtain clip rings around $5 a pack to hang the panels.  I love all the light that comes through now. It was such a simple solution and a noninvasive way to dress the windows. When the panels are drawn open and pulled to the side, you can barely tell they are there. The total cost for all 3 windows was around $55, not too shabby!

More framed windows and new cafe curtains.




I had previously added more storage to a spare wall for organizing the kids homework and supplies. I found the idea on pinterest, of course. For displaying my favorite cookbooks, I found this simple shelf on clearance at Target and J added some molding around the bottom to fancy it up some. I'm always looking for simple ideas to add more storage. The large square basket is available from Target and is the perfect size for all my pans. I have the round one in the front foyer for shoes thanks for my friend, Jennifer for that idea. Holla, Jennifer!  We built a display shelf to fill in all the extra space over the fridge. I don't know why I never thought of that before. I stained it with stain I had in the garage and used some of the left over Pure White from my cabinets on the corbels. The accessories used, were what I collected throughout my house in various rooms. The grass rug was a online deal from World Market and makes for the perfect play place for Angel-baby while I'm cooking dinner.

Wall storage and organization for the kids homework and my cookbooks. New basket for pans.

Simple accent shelf to fill in wasted space above fridge.

World Market accent rug and new play area. 


The copper farmhouse sink, faucet and countertops were the big splurge items in the kitchen and made up most of the budget. We chose the granite in Giallo Ornamental from Home Depot. I wanted something lighter for the counters since the floor was so dark. It had a nice mix of white, cream, gray, black and garnet, all the colors that could be found in my new kitchen. I thought it went well without being to busy and was in the lower price point. J, installed the new sink, faucet and plumbing. That was a ordeal and another post entirely! I made a simple skirt to hang under the new lower sink to replace the cabinet doors that were now too large. The skirt came from a $8 canvas drop cloth hung on a cafe rod. Crisis solved. I love my new sink. It makes for a awesome baby bathtub too. 

Giallo Ornamental granite for the new countertops.

Sink, faucet and skirt.


For the walls, I chose Eddie Bauer in Cloth. It's a nice creamy off white and matches the stripes from the hall so it ties the rooms together. I plan to finish that project next. The awkward support column received some new trim to give it a more custom finish. I painted the corbels under the bar to match the bottom cabinets and gave the barstools a mini-facelift to fit in better with the new look of the room. The wall next to the fridge became the perfect spot for our framed chalkboard to jot down notes and for displaying the kids artwork. I found the frames at goodwill and painted them with paint that I had around the house. I got the idea to frame and hang the artwork from Thrifty Decor Chick! I love it.

Column with new molding.

Painted corbel supports to match the lower cabinets.

Barstools with facelift. 

Framed chalkboard wall for displaying the kids artwork.

There really wasn't much money left to do anything major in the breakfast area. I would love to change out the light fixture but that will happen later. My awesome friend (Jennifer again) sold me her old farmhouse style table for a steal and it is prefect! I added the bench for more seating from World Market. It was  $110 with my coupon because they were discontinuing it. I was in luck that my local store had one left in stock. I moved the rug from the family room under the table and found inexpensive plates and frames from Marshalls homegoods to accent the walls.   
Breakfast area. New table, bench, cafe curtains and accessories. 


I love the flow of the new rooms and feel like my house actually has a real style now. I'm happy that my design came together AND that it looks good! The new kitchen has become the center of the house again and it is nice to enjoy a room that we spend so much time in. Before the remodeled kitchen, I was thinking about moving to some place with a upgraded kitchen and a little more space. I think size wise, the house is fine for now. There is no other place that I can picture myself in for the time being. This home is where my heart is, for sure! 
All Finished!






 Cute accessories





DIY Show Off
Read more at http://diyshowoff.com/2013/06/23/that-diy-party-diy-22/#Wr6jjKS30KAt7kUG.99

TDC Before and After

5 comments:

  1. Not only is your kitchen beautiful, but it is so you. I can see why it feels like home. I am insanely jealous of your sink, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jennifer! I really appreciated all your help when bouncing ideas at you. :) glad it's finally finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is unrecognizable from where you started - absolutely amazing!! Giallo ornamental was one of the granite types we were considering for ours, it's gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful! Farmhouse without being over the top. Perfect balance of old and new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jenni, and Jenny! I reallly appreciate your compliments! Thanks for checking out my blog as well! :)

    ReplyDelete