Saturday, June 15, 2013

Minus one.

Today we hit another mile stone in our family. We sent Boy #1, off on his first plane trip alone. Well, trip without us anyways, to visit my sister in DC.  He and his Poppy, (A.K.A. my dad), left this morning for a week long trip visiting our Nations sites. A couple of guys about town with my sister as the tour guide. I'm sure there will be plenty of stories when they get back to share with us. There may or may not be a leftover parking ticket in Poppy's name from when we visited the Capital area the summer before I started 8th grade some 20+ years ago!

I remember as a kid flying from Florida to New York to visit my Grandmother for a few weeks in the summer. I always looked forward to going to her house that HAD stairs, basement with a door on the side for the milkman, the finished attic and the kitchen with the cozy breakfast nook and the Dutch door that lead out to the covered back porch where we would sit in the cool evenings. You could walk down the street to the park that was something right out of Sesame Street with paddle boats, rose garden and small cafe. The PriceChopper grocery store was the next avenue over and we would sneak there in the afternoons to buy snacks with the little bit of spending money that we came with. She would take us to go play BINGO at her favorite spots, eat the best soft-serve ice cream at Jumpin' Jacks and have lunch at Friendly's. We'd visit Saratoga and see the horses and once she even put a bet on a race for me. No, I didn't win but that was part of the excitement. There were many trips to Lake George and a lot of late nights playing cards and eating snacks. Her house felt the most like home since we moved around a lot when I was kid and was never in one place for more than a few years at a time. I'll always treasure those visits and the special time we shared together. She had the best stories and we would talk all night. I miss her dearly, every. single. day!

I hope my kids will have those summers. Those kind of memories and stories. I'm excited that they are getting bigger and are able to do more on their own. I think it is important not only for us as parents but for them as kids to have those kind of experiences by themselves.  To have special bonding time with their grandparents as we did as kids. I can't wait to hear all about his trip. I wish I was going with him but I am excited for him and this time he will have his Poppy. I'm sure it will be a summer that he will never forget and I will be waiting eagerly to share in his stories that he has created. 




1 comment:

  1. He's going to have so much fun! There's so much to do and see that the time will fly by. I'm sure he'll have some great memories from this trip, too.

    ReplyDelete