Tuesday, June 4, 2013

New look for a old hutch; makeover part 2.

Here's what I started with.  It was a beautiful old hutch with a lot of character and details. I love the moldings and the vintage drawer pulls. It was a really solid and well built piece, especially for being 90 years old. The only thing I had to do to maintain it, was to glue a decorative face on one of the back feet and give it a good washing with warm soapy water. The inside was kind of sticky and gummy from where the finish was coming off. The glass was perfect condition with no scratches. The bottom half was really banged up and the finish around the top was pretty light from years of being in the sun. Even with all the wear and tear it still love at first sight! What can I say, I'm a sucker for pretty old things.


I took the shelves out of the hutch and started with 2 coats of the Annie Sloan chalk paint in Antibes Green. At first I was afraid that the green was going to be too bright. It does look really bright with the old mahogany but I was painting the whole thing a creamy off white in Annie Sloan Old World. I still wasn't sure about the green so I painted a light coat of the white over the green but then, it toned it down too much. So I followed with another coat of the Antibes Green, dry brushed over the white. Lesson learned, always go with your gut. 

The front of the glass had one big wooden piece that was really loose on the front of the door. I popped that out and painted it white. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to squeeze it back into the door without it cracking and I thought I might like it better without it so you could see the green better. I figured I would paint it all and see how it looked at the end before making a final decision.

Here it is with 2 coats of Old World White and before I went back over the inside walls and sides with another light coat of Anitbes Green. 


The whole hutch, pulls and all, got 2 coats of the Old World. I cant say enough about how much I love this paint! You can use it on anything, wood, metal, plastic. So easy to use and fast drying. I found that when I was using it and it has set out for awhile that it tends to thicken up quite a bit, which it supposed to do. It just tends to get a little gloppy for my taste. The easiest way for me, was to pour a small amount maybe 1/4 cup into a solo cup and start with that. As it would thicken up I would add teaspoon or so of water and mix it back to down to thin it up.
  
After it all dried, I think I painted the two coats that afternoon and then made dinner, ate, cleaned up dinner, got kids ready for bed (with some help from J :D), and made lunches for school for the next day. The total dry time was maybe between 2-3 hrs. I was able to tackle the sanding and waxing after it was totally dried. I broke out my 220 grit sand paper and went to town again. I did try to use my palm sander to hurry the job along but after a test section on the side decided that it was too rough for the job. I concentrated on the sides, corners, drawer pulls and the moldings. I really developed some serious arm muscles, well in my right arm anyways, from this project. Mr. Miyagi was right, waxing and sanding are a real work out! After sanding, wipe everything down with a clean damp cloth. With the wax, I started working in small sections. I used the Briwax again in light brown and applied it with  cheesecloth. When the wax dries, buff the sections with a clean lint free cloth. The wax seals it all, cures over time and hardens. 


Here she is, 2 coats of Old World White and Antibes green. I did decide to put the piece back on the door. I really like the character it adds and I love the color combination of the cream and the green. I can't say enough about how much I ENJOY this hutch! I thought it was love at first sight before but now with this transformation it looks like a dream....well one of my dreams anyways. I'm weird like that. I dream of furniture makeovers and DIY projects. True story, my husband said I woke up one night talking about something I was doing in my dream....I think it looks like something you would find in a old farmhouse. The table is the last thing that I needed to work on to complete the set. I'll save that for the next posting to keep this from being too long winded and to have something to look forward too! Once the table is finished, I can move on to transforming the rest of the room! I can hardly wait to show the finish results. 

Up close look of the molding details.
Bottom half




4 comments:

  1. It's such a pretty piece of furniture and it looks even prettier now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That transformation is unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jenni. I really happy with the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete