Monday, September 2, 2013

Easy DIY table update.

I've been rearranging my family room as J finally got around to hanging our TV over the fireplace this weekend. Yup, we've join in on that bandwagon. It was complicated but we needed more space in our over crowded family room.  Now we ALL can sit down and watch TV if the rare occasion were to present itself these days. By moving out our old and very large scale TV armoire, we were able to move the love seat and open up the flow of the room. There are still some wires that need to be hidden and a few odds and ends that I want to get together so more on that to follow later. The bonus about the new space is now I can bring back some of the things I had to take out to make room. 

I had these 2 round end tables that I bought years ago when we were in our first house. I bought them for a steal of a deal at Target's annual World Bazar sale. I think they were $45 a piece. They are in great condition and solid wood but a little dark for my taste now. I decided to use little bit of Annie Sloan's chalk paint in French Linen to make one of them a little brighter. Here's how that went.

Excuse the bathroom, it's awful and we plan to start on it soon.
Before, overall great condition.



I started with giving the table a good washing.

New color of choice, French Linen chalk paint.

I flipped the table over and started on the bottom so I could get my technique down before moving to the top. I started with light coats dry brushed on, stretching the paint as far as it would go before adding more paint. Less is more here. I was going for the distressed look.
 
To even everything out, I went over the thicker spots with a little bit of water. That's the beauty of chalk paint.

I let the table dry for a hour or so.

I chose to go over the dry paint with a wet cloth instead of sandpaper. I rubbed spots around the edges, base and legs where age naturally occurs just enough for the brown to show through the paint.

I went over the base with my Briwax in light brown. Working in small sections rubbing the wax into the paint and buffing it off to light shine.

When I reached the top, I felt like it needed a little something extra. I penciled by freehand our last initial. It wasn't center very well so I added the year we were married or AKA established, to fill in the space on the side and painted it with chalk paint in Old World.

After the top dried, I went over it with a wet cloth concentrating the edges of my lettering to cover any mistakes. 

 Finished with the wax.
 
I am debating about doing the second table since this one came out so cute but I'm not sure where to put it. I'm sure something will come to me. I love how simple this chalk paint is to work with. In 2 hours I totally transformed this table with a whole new look!

1 comment:

  1. It turned out great! One day I will find something to use chalk paint on.

    ReplyDelete