Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hardy, Healthy and Perfect Fall Eatin' Food.

I'm so excited that we have been getting a taste of some fall like weather here in our part of country. We can actually pretend that Autumn has arrvived here in Texas and it's not late November! Our weather around here is such a tease! I know that these cooler mornings wont last for long. In fact, today's afternoon high is supposed to reach 91 again. The crisper weather got me in the mood for one of my favorite comfort weather dinners. It's simple, healthy, delicous and perfect for fall. 

I've been fan of skinnytaste.com for ages. I have been following this lady's blog for years when I was on my quest to get healthier and help shed wieght after the birth of my second son. She follows the weight watchers points plan but even if you don't do WW's her meals are simple and delicous. This is one of my favorites and I make it all the time. It's flavorful and healthy. You can dress it up with chips, cheese, fresh cilantro and sour cream or eat it by itself. Leftovers are good served over rice or baked potatoes and it freezes great. I've made this for recooperating friends and new mommas. It's a nice simple go-to meal and 3 out of my 4 kids like it! 

Chicken Taco Chili 

3-4 chicken breast (I used 2 big breast and was fine)
1 onion, chopped
1 16oz can black beans (drained and rinse)
1 10oz bag of frozen corn (I always use canned)
1 16oz can Kindney beans (drained and rinse)
2 14.4 oz cans of tomatoes with chilies (I use generic rotel)
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
1 TBS of cumin
1 TBS chili powder
1 packet of taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Chop onion and add it to your crock pot. Drain and rinse your beans. Add beans, corn, tomatoes, sauce and seasonings to your crock pot and still well. Place the chicken on top and push down into the mixture. Cover and cook on high 3-4 hrs or low for 6-8hrs. When the chicken is finished cooking, shred it and adjust any seasonings.


All ingredents with chicken before cooked.

After

Shred the chicken with two forks, adjust seasonings and stir.

 Serve with chips, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro. SOOO GOOOD!

I can't wait for more comfort meals, sitting in front of the fireplace with a good book and my pumpkin scented candles. Happy Fall Y'all!

3 comments: