Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hello and Goodbye, Starbucks.

I love Fall and all the good things that go along with it. Speaking as a former Blue Ridge Mountain girl, this time of year always makes me yearn for cool crips evenings followed by brisk mornings. I miss seeing the mountainsides covered with beautiful fall foliage in vibrant shades of reds, oranges, and yellows. Wearing my fuzzy sweaters with wool rag socks in the cool nights in front of a bon fire. Ah, good times! Here in Texas we have two seasons, boiling pot and who knew 85 could be so pleasant?! While I have acclimated to my Texas home after 12.5 years, I miss when this time of year is supposed to come around and we are still sweating in shorts and a tank top!

See what I'm missing, sigh.

I know when Fall has finally arrived around these parts not by the weather or changing leaves, but when Starbucks breaks out their Pumpkin Spice Latte. I'm a sucker for anything pumpkin. I stumbled upon this recipe on Pinterest from Recipe Girl and decided to give it a go. What could be better than making your own latte at home and forgoing the $5 and the gas. Here's her recipe. I substituted a few things to make it a bit lighter. It wont be as rich in flavor but I'm trying to watch my calories. 

Pumpkin Spice Latte
(yields 1 drink)

1/2 cup whole milk
1 TBS unsweetened canned pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup hot brewed, strong coffee
2 TBS half and half
1 tsp sugar or more to taste
whipped cream, optional



Directions.
In glass measuring cup or microwave-safe bowl, whisk together milk (I used 2%), pumpkin, brown sugar, spice and vanilla. Microwave for 1:30-2 minutes. Watch closely and remove it when milk is hot and frothy. (It will boil over, had that happen the first time I made this.)

1:30 was perfect for mine.

Pour the pumpkin milk into a tall glass or mug. Add hot coffee. Pour in the cream (I used fat free half and half). Add sugar. (I used my truvia sugar substitute.) Stir, taste add more sugar if desired.

Hot brewed coffee.
 

I used fat free half and half

truvia sugar subsitute

Optional but oh so good, add whipped cream on top and sprinkle with nutmeg. I didn't have any nutmeg on hand so I just used a dash of more pumpkin pie spice. Serve immediately.

 
So yummy and more pumpkin pie flavor than the original that I find a bit sugary. I like that you can adjust the sweetness level with this recipe based on your preference. I think there will be many more of these in my future. Another bonus, I bought all the ingredients for the cost of one Starbucks latte. Come on over for a cup of coffee, I'll make you your own! 
 

3 comments:

  1. Yum, going to have to try these! FYI I made a batch of muffins using a pumpkin latte last winter by subbing the milk called for with latte and they were delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound good too, Jenni. I do that with a banana bread I make! :)

    ReplyDelete