Thursday, September 5, 2013

Super Simple Supper. Crockpot Beef Stroganoff.

I love the easy connivence of my crockpot. Now that school is back in session (yes. yes. yes.), I plan to use mine more.  It's nice to be able to throw a handful of ingredients together in a matter of minutes and come back to a hot dinner a few hours later. Our afternoons are rather hectic around here. Two  boys get home off the bus around 3:40 followed by the 3rd at 4:15. Then snacks, homework,  papers to sign, flash cards to do and reading logs to be filled out quickly follow suit in a whirl.  Somewhere in between that time when the backpacks get emptied, lunch box duty happens (emptying out the containers from what they ate or in our case didn't eat) and water bottles to be washed out. The baby is up from her nap and needs to be changed AND fed something, the dryer goes off with the second load of laundry, the dog needs to go out and "oh yeah, what's for dinner?" I know it is the same story everywhere. I don't know what I would do if I had a full time job as well. My hats go off to all you hard working mommas! Crock pots are a blessing!I

I found this Beef Stroganoff recipe on a friends facebook page and thought I would tweak it up a bit to my liking. It probably takes a total of 5 minutes to put together and I served it over buttered egg noodles. If noodles aren't your thing you could serve it over rice. Add green beans or a side salad (or skip it all together, I did) and your done.

Super Simple Beef Stroganoff.
2 lbs cubed stew meat
2 cans Condensed Golden Mushroom Soup
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup of red wine
1/4 cup of water
8 oz cream cheese
1 tsp of garlic salt
1 tsp of paprika 
1 tsp dried parsley 
salt and pepper to taste

1 lb of egg noddles 


Chop onions and garlic and add to your crock.  I didn't have any large onions so I used 1.5 medium onions. I seasoned the onions and garlic with a little bit of fresh black pepper and salt.

In a mixing bowl, add soups, Worcestershire sauce, wine, water, (if your not a wine drinker use 1/2 cup of water. I just like the flavor the red wine adds to the beef and also is a good tenderizer.) garlic salt, and paprika. Mix until well combined and pour over your onions.

Mix soup with your onion and garlic.

Next add your cubed stew meat to the soup mixture. I cut a few of my pieces smaller-closer to bit size pieces. Saves time later when I have to cut everything down for the kids anyways. push the meat down into the soup and cover. I cooked on high for 4 hours since I had a late start. You could also cook on low for 6-8 hrs. 

After 4 hours was up, I cubed the 8oz package of cream cheese and stirred it in. It helps to sit the cream cheese out until its room temperature so it melts a little faster. I added 1 TBS of dried parsley flakes and seasoned with more salt and pepper. Put the lid back on and let the cheese melt.
While the cream cheese was melting, I started my water to boil the noddles. When I had a hard boil going, add the noddles and cook 7-8 mins. Drain. I added a little bit of butter maybe 2 TBS and some parmesan cheese and severed the Stroganoff over the noddles. I would have added a package of mushrooms to this since I LOVE mushrooms but my kids don't eat them and I would have to pick them out for them and didn't feel like doing that.

Should have had a better picture but I started eating before I remember that I was going to take one of the finished product. Here it is after a bite or 2...
 
This was as much as a crowd pleaser as we get around here. Angel-baby and Boy #2 loved it. Boy #1 ate all the meat out and handful of noddles and Boy #3 ate the noodles. I had seconds, see why I need the treadmill. I definitely keeping this one on the menu to make again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment