Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Crafty Costumes!

This year we told the kids that we were not going to pay big bucks for store bought Halloween costumes. With 3 kids, not including one Angel-baby, and 2 dogs (not to be one to leave anyone out, much to their dismay) our Halloween's were really starting to add up. As a way of tightening our belts and trying to stay on top of a budget we decided that costumes would be made this year. There certainly isn't a shortage for ideas in this department thanks to the web or Pinterest. You can find plenty of helpful tutorials that are easy and simple and don't require too much skill or materials to make. The kids knowing how crafty their mom was (wink, wink) didn't seem to have of a problem with this idea. I took any reasonable suggestions (sorry kids, robots were above us at this time) and narrowed my search and hit my favorite go-to place, Pinterest first to see what I could find. 

The top choices for boys #2 and #3 were Lego figures of some kind, possibly a Super-hero or a Ninjago character. Boy #1 said he didn't care and could just wear a football jersey and helmet and go as a football player this year. I'm just glad that he is back into the idea of dressing up because last year he swore he wasn't going to do Hallween until the very last day and I had to run out and find him something. It makes me happy that he still wants to dress up, have fun and act like a kid even though he's in 6th grade and a Call of Duty FANATIC! Angel-baby doesn't get a say since she is 15 months old and I speak for her. My only requirements are something that involves a tutu. I've waited YEARS to be able to do a tutu and if she could live in one right now, I would SO do it!

I found some easy costume plans but J surprised me with one of his own and went in a different direction all together. He found a Minecraft tutorial on one of his blogs and was excited to try it. I guess if it's geeky enough then J can be into crafts, who knew?  My boys LOVE Minecraft and once he said the words "Minecraft costume" all three were sold. I asked what was invloved and when he started talking about graphs, mathematic equations and using dry wall screws on cardboard I tapped out and let him take over this project. He was really into making these and that is just another reason why I love this guy so much. He does anything for his kids, always. I gave him a deadline since the costumes had to be finished in time for Halloween and he can be a bit of a procrastinator. I'm happy to say he finished them all last weekend and they look great! The kids were impressed with the final product. The hard part will be keeping them away so the costumes will make it to Halloween. They are already reenacting fight scenes from the game that involve TNT, pick-axes and a golden sword. 

Angel-baby is going a Princess Tiger-Lilly. Her costume was relatively easy in comparison. I made her a tutu, head-dress and an embellished onesie with the materials purchased all on sale at Hobby Lobby. It was eally simple and I will write up a tutorial later. 

It's calling for rain here on Halloween night. I hope the soggy weather holds off so the kids can have a good outing. I can't wait to see everyone all dressed up and ready to go. I love these times and they seem to be flying by too fast these days. I've got to remember to slow down and enjoy this ride, even all the crazy hectic times in between. 

Sneak Peak

Minecrafts heads.

TNT, you've got to have it according to the boys!

More props, pick-ax and golden sword.

Princess Tiger-Lilly!

1 comment:

  1. LOL I can so see Jason planning those costumes! They look great, can't wait to see the pics of the kids in them :)

    ReplyDelete