Monday, October 7, 2013

Fall decorating on a budget!

It's finally starting to look like Fall around here. Well, inside anyways. I'm ushering in the season with some budget freindly decor in colors of yellows, reds and oranges. I bought some new pieces from Homegoods, Michaels and Wal-Mart to help freshen up some of my old deocorations and I "shopped" for a few more accessories from other rooms in my house. I went with a more neutral "Harvest" theme so I'll only have to tweak it up a bit after Halloween and should be good until Christmas. Welcome to how I do Fall in Texas, Y'all!  Grab your Spiced Pumpkin Latte and come take a peek of what's going on around here. 

I'd love a Autumn garden flag but the Auburn flag stays through football season. Gotta represent the SEC, War Eagle!

Our front porch is made up mainly of budget-friendly deocrations that were made or purchased for a steal. J made those chairs, table and frame for the chalkboard. I'm on the lookout for some cute Fall pillows. I saw a couple of owl pillows at Michaels but I'm waiting for them to get marked down. The garland of leaves around the front door was purchased from Wal-Mart for $2.97. I bought two strands of garland 6 feet in length and strung them with my old set of Halloween lights. The wire welcome black cat sign was purchased years ago from Michaels. 
 
The wooden owl, ceramic vase and acorn decor were all purchased from Michaels all under $10. The mums on the table came from a local grocery stores for $5.

I changed out my chalkboard with a Halloween inspired theme and countdown calendar. I love having the outdoor chalkboard to change with the seasons!

"When witches go riding and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers 'tis near halloween!"
Such a fun quote and I'm so happy with the way my man in the moon came out because I'm not much of a artist.

Next to the front door there is a hodgepodge of pumpkins, real and fake, along with some mums and a couple of cute signs welcoming guests into the season. One of the mums here came from Lowe's on clearance for $2.50 and the other was $5. The real pumpkins came from Trader Joe's for $2.99 and the small white mini pumpkins were $.69. Other plastic mini pumpkins were purchased for $.97 a piece from Wal-Mart. The Haunted House Tours sign came from Ross for $3.99 and the Autumn sign from Michaels was under $5. I made the wreath holder with J's help, with scrap wood in our garage.

I also made this weath from scrap fabric and a few odds and ends I picked up from Micheals.

For my enty table, I spruced up a wreath I had by making bow out of my scrap material and adding some scented embellishments that came with the bouquet of dried Fall flowers purchased from Homegoods. I made the wreath hanger from old pallet boards. I need to blog about that soon. I threw together this pennant with leftover material in burlap and canvas. I used a sharpie for the letters and a bit of scrap meterial for the ribbon. 


I was stumped at first in how to do my front hall table and niche. I really do hate my niche and hope to replace the narrow ledge with something wider and functional. I'd also like to ditch the table and add a bench. This arrangement is a mix of vintage and rustic "Harvest" elements that I think they work pretty well together. The vintage Halloween sign, owl, dry scented flowers and candle all came from Homegoods. The white pumpkins, wire basket and "shroud" material all came from Wal-Mart. The orange mini-pumpkin vase filler came from Michaels and I split it between the table and my mantle. 


Fall in the Family Room.


In the Family Room, I did a simple switch of the candels on my decorative ledge over the love seat. I hung a Halloween inspired collage on my display frame that I made in place of a shadow box. I think the frame is a fun way to highlight a small collection of odds and ends in interesting way.  I used clothes pins hung to floral wire to hang some Halloween theme decorations. 

I find inspiration anywhere. In my display frame, I hung some leftover Halloween cupcake liners and a napkin. Makes for inexpensive way to add some October flair and I'm sure it will work well for any season.

On the coffee table, I added brown beer bottles with bit of my old Fall greenery. I loved the shape and color of these bottles so I kept them, cleaned them out and took the lables off. The other glass vase filled with pinecones that I collected outside.

The Mantle was a bit of a challenge with its size and the newly hung TV.  I didn't want it to look too busy or too sparse. I chose to do a simple swag of Fall flowers for the ceneter piece to go with my chalkboard pennant that I orginally bought online for Angel-baby's 1st birthday. I wired the flowers together with some floral wire. I used a variety pumpkins in fun colors and sizes mixed with some of my glassware and candles. I hit Michaels big Fall sale a couple of weeks ago and bought the greenery for just under $2 a piece. The gold and white pumpkins were also on sale for half off as was the mini-pumpkins in the vase. I dug out my old Smith and Hawken pumpkins that I bought several years ago at Target. The total for my mantle makeover was around $12.


Last simple touches where rearranging some things on my console table and adding some more Fall color candles. 
  
I added my Halloween runner to the breakfast table along with a Fall platter that I have never used as a tray. I tied some burlap and ribbon to a leftover glass jar and added some more of my old Fall greenery. I used another cleaned-out beer bottle for a simple candle holder and added my ceramic owl that I bought from the B&BW outlet a few years ago. I bought the ceramic place card holder at Hobby Lobby for $1.50 and used a dry erase marker to write a simple Fall greeting.


I even found a place for an old Halloween planter/canister  that J sent me one year with flowers.  Note, I said 1 year. We've been married for 12, but I digress. I made a simple grouping with one of my old lanterns and potted plant for the kitchen counter.

My Floorplan is pretty open so I don't really need to go overboard in every room. The little pops of color spread throughout the house make me happy and put me in a Autumn state of mind.  Our "cool" front has arrivied bringing along with it some real Autumn weather and I'm burning my secented wax as we speak! I am enjoying the aroma of freshly baked cobbler (without lifting a finger, mind you) and feeling the cool breeze through my open windows. It doens't get better than this! I hope you leave feeling inspired with the love of my favorite season. What is better than pumpkin patches, corn mazes, hayrides, hot apple cider, changing leaves and cooler earlier nights? Thanks for stopping in! 

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed, it looks great!! I am just happy to have my place finally decorated in general, never mind for the holidays :) We're lucky if we motivate enough to put up a few strings of lights at Christmas...but determined to try harder in the new house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks great! I'll come over and you can entertain me with one of those pumpkin lattes you make. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jenni! I didn't do all that much starting out either. It's fun putting up all the seasonal things for the kids!

    Sure thing, Jennifer! We can talk about what do for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenni gets that lack of decorating from me and my Mom. LOL. Glad somebody in the family does it up right. My comment on the decorations is Wow, just Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete